View the 2016 full agenda
This year's agenda was as follows:
8.30 Registration and breakfast
9.00 Chairs introduction and opening remarks
Vicki Taylor, Group Event Director, Euromoney Legal Media Group
9.10 Mentoring, sponsorship & coaching
- Improving your skill sets through mentorship, sponsorship and coaching
- Finding the right style of mentorship for you
- Cross company, internal and external mentoring opportunities
- Understanding the structure of the workplace before seeking a sponsor
- When to engage sponsorship: your role within the organisation and transition stage of your career
- Does coaching need to be targeted?
Elizabeth Bothwell, partner, Arthur Cox
Nicky Moffat CBE, speaker, leadership consultant & executive coach, What Good Leadership Looks Like
Leigh Murrin, chief legal operations counsel, GE Capital International
Janet Johnstone, chief administrative officer EMEA, BNY Mellon
10.00 Coffee break
10.20 Business card exchange
Take advantage of this networking opportunity to introduce yourself and exchange business cards with other conference delegates. Start with the people closest to you and then move around the room to learn more about other attendees and their companies and projects.
10.25 Engaging men in women's initiatives
- The importance of the male role in creating diversity
- How can men influence this within the organisation
- Inclusiveness of all levels from junior to senior positions
- Best practices to retain male activity in women's networks
- Re-energising 'women's networks' to become more 'gender balanced'
- Business development activity you should engage in - how to make it easier for men to get involved
Mitra Janes, head of diversity & inclusion, DLA Piper
Julia Elliott, GC, EMEA, Citi Private Bank
Andrew Darwin, chief operating officer, DLA Piper
Harry Gaskell, chief innovation officer, & partner, EY
11.15 The role of leadership in negotiating the path to partnership or the board
- Attributes of a strong leader: innate or learned
- Does strong leadership produce a favourable team dynamic and higher results?
- Finding the leadership style that suits you
- The fear factor: does this challenge and grow your career?
- Creating realistic board targets within the talent pipeline (for example, diversity)
- Alternatives to the board or partnership track
Marwa Elborai, partner, Shearman & Sterling
Nicole Sandler, VP resolution & recovery planning & FinTech, EMEA legal lead, Barclays
Reni Adadevoh, VP, legal & business affairs, Warner Music International
Sharon Blackman, director & deputy general counsel, Citi
12.05 Lunch and networking
13.00 Breakout sessions
Delegates will join three of the following facilitated workshops. Each workshop lasts 30 mins. During the interactive group sessions the facilitator will put together a list of recommendations on how to improve your organisation's talent management of women lawyers. The recommendations will be fed back at the end of the breakout session to the entire delegation. IFLR will collate the information and distribute to delegates after the event as a report.
Delegates will join the below three facilitated workshops:
Agile working and mentoring: Soo Redshaw, seren CMT & Lila Pease, associate director, White & Case
Leadership: Hatice Ismail, partner & Eucharia Bragg, managing associate, Simmons & Simmons
Targets: Daniel Danso, global diversity manager, Linklaters
14.30 Coffee break
15.00 Workshop feedback - recommendations for change
The facilitators of the breakout sessions will provide feedback to the audience.
15.30 The road to general counsel
Making it to the top of the legal ladder varies for each person. For many it begins in private practice. Some stay in one organisation. Others move between industries or between in-house and private practice roles. Hear the personal stories of our panellists. How they met obstacles along the way, built invaluable relationships and ultimately how they succeeded.
Rachel Small, group company secretary & general counsel, LV
Katy Walton Jones, general counsel & management committee, Source UK Services
Bronagh Kennedy, group company secretary & general counsel, Severn Trent Water
Gill Aitken, general counsel & solicitor, HM Revenue & Customs
Elizabeth Meager, EMEA editor, IFLR
16.25 Close of seminar